Stepan is a wonderful vendor. He is kind to his customers and even sends you a picture of your product being made. My Spine Rounding Tool came and it is exactly what I need. Great price, great company. I appreciate how he goes the extra mile for his customers.
Spine rounding tools are used to round spines of covers when one is making case-bound books. Alternatively, they may be used to form a rounded spine of a book block.
In the first case, you place the spine of the cover in that groove and work it with something like a pestle until it is properly rounded. First, this allows making a perfectly round spine. Second, it protects from breaking or wrinkling the spine. You may start with a larger radius and steadily reach the needed radius with different groves to be even more careful.
While forming a book block, you have to put the sewn – but not yet glued book block – into the groove, gently form it, and carefully take it out for gluing. I have never tried to do that – I’ve always rounded my books by hand and in a press. But I know bookbinders who use that method.
- Width: 20 cm;
- Height: 4 cm;
- Length: 21 cm / 30 cm / 38 cm;
- Groove diameters: up to seven grooves of any diameter from 10 mm to 50 mm on two sides of the tool, that will fit in the design (please leave a comment upon ordering).
- The default set of grooves for this tool is: 12 mm, 15 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm, 30 mm, 40 mm, and 50 mm.
You may also want to order a round sanding tool to accompany this rounding tool. They are used not only for sanding but also as a substitute for a pestle while rounding spines: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BonefolderClub?ref=l2-shopheader-name&search_query=Round+Sanding+Tool
Some of the benefits of the plastic tool compared to the wooden tool:
- The wood itself is much more expensive than plastic;
- Woodworking is a much more expensive process than 3d-printing;
- The weight of the wooden tool is higher. Hence, shipping is several-fold more expensive.
All that allows making plastic tools considerably cheaper.
By default, items are printed in any random color available at the moment. If you want to choose a specific color, please write us a message. Colors currently available are listed in our FAQ section: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BonefolderClub#more-section
If you want to get your jigs printed in some other color, that may be done for an additional 10 Euro fee (if the color is available at our supplier).
You can always add tracking to your order for an additional fee.
Free tracking is available:
- for orders from the EU above 60 euros
- for orders from other parts of the world above 100 euros.
By default, items are printed in any random color available at the moment. If you want to choose a specific color, please write us a message. Colors currently available are listed in our FAQ section: https://ibookbinding.myshopify.com/apps/help-center#hc-colors-of-plastic